Friday, March 28, 2008

Worthless Idols

swan idol
Yesterday's paper had a picture and article that caught my eye. The story detailed the account of a black swan named Petra that had fallen in love with a gorgeous white swan. What's the problem you may ask. The problem was that the white swan was a gigantic, carved out swan- shaped paddle boat! Petra and her swan shaped boat were parted at a local zoo and Petra finally settled for a real white swan. "But the romance was short lived...her new beau flew off and sought the company of other black swans. A zoo statement says that Petra appears to feel lonely and is swimming around in an agitated state."
Examine these two verses from the NKJV Bible:

Jer 18:15 "Because My people have forgotten Me, They have burned incense to worthless idols. And they have caused themselves to stumble in their ways, [From] the ancient paths, To walk in pathways and not on a highway,
Jon 2:8 "Those who regard worthless idols Forsake their own Mercy.

Petra fell in love with the wrong thing! What she loved could never love her back. We do the same thing all the time . We idolize people, places, and things that will never love us back. We put such high hopes in something we believe will bring us great satisfaction, acceptance, or earthly delight. The only problem is that it never does. Often when what we idolize is removed from our lives we do just what poor old Petra did- get depressed, lonely and swim around in an agitated state. God never intended for us to idolize anything. He created us with the need to be accepted and loved and to find fulfillment in Him alone. No relationship, job, or material wealth and possession will fill the hole that is shaped in God's image. We must love Him more than anything here on earth. Do you?

2 comments:

BethAnne said...

Hey Dawn! Found you through another blog (Shelley maybe?). You are so right in that so many times we fall in love with the wrong things. Before we know it we have placed unimportant things above God.

Anonymous said...

4/9/08 Hi Dawn..re-reading your blog after our walk today. This statement of idols brings to mind a conversation Dean about the class he is currently taking. He had a power point presentation about symbols of worship. We talked about the Bible. The actual, physical book. See, if I had laid a piece of paper over a Bible in our home, set a drink on it, he would tell me "not to put anything on top of the Bible and quickly remove the item." I couldn't even stack it up amongst other books. As Christians, we know that our relationship with Christ is most important and reading Bible is the foundation. However, the Bible should not be treated as sacred, nor the cross that hangs around or neck, or any other symbol of worship. These "things" can not do what Christ has already done. It's okay to have these items, as long those items are not above our love for Jesus. Him alone. I got reminded of this yesterday when I lost my favorite, filigree, silver cross. My heart could not believe it wasn't with the chain and "love" charm. I thought about it all morning until I could look in my car at lunch time. When I found it (in my purse). I whispered "thank you Lord for letting me find this". Shouldn't we always feel this way about our salvation? Do we get deep heart palpitations when we know we have sinned and need to repent? Am I desperately seeking after Him? And when continually shows Himself faithful am I continually thanking Him? Love you. Elaine