Thursday, June 19, 2014

Cured



"Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed." Hebrews 12:12-13

 I once worked for a chiropractor. As a newly single mom, I grabbed the job out of sheer desperation. At first, I was skeptical of chiropractic care. My boss, Dr. Ben, schooled me in the foundations of this healing practice. Little by little my disbelief vanished. I observed people gnarled with pain, bent over and grimacing, straighten to their normal height. Eventually my whole family surrendered to what they had once mocked. How can anyone deny the relief which evolves from hurting to healing? We certainly believed.

People, who don’t understand our Lord as Healer, never benefit from the pain He takes and exchanges for the gift of true healing. Surrendering back breaking burdens at His feet, we leave with a straighter posture and position. He is the lifter of our heads and the healer of our hearts.

Can the burdens we carry in our minds and hearts affect our bodies? Doctors report many physical illnesses are the cause of internal stressors. When we hold onto hurt, anger, and un-forgiveness our bodies become prisons of pain. When a breakdown occurs emotionally and physically, we end up heading for either a doctor’s office or a counselor. I heard the fastest growing form of Christianity is Christian counseling. People flock to someone who can help uncover the source of mental or emotional anguish they are experiencing. Surrendering and uncovering past and present turmoil is a prescription for healing. 

I am a proponent of Christian counseling. I am also an advocate of dropping at the feet of the One True Healer, Jesus. Often enough the position of being prostrate at His feet ensures a head held high posture. He lifts the damaged emotions and pain. He restores. He cures. 

No comments: