Saturday, June 16, 2012

Maps

My dad used to work for a large map making company. I remember him bringing home maps that were sold to use in classrooms. Remember the day when the teacher would pull down a huge map that covered most of the blackboard area? She would hold up a long wooden stick and point to various places. Often fear and trepidation would engulf me if I was called on to approach the map and find a certain city, state or country. Only if I knew the map well would I hop up with confidence as I proudly displayed my knowledge. In later years I really began to appreciate maps as I started traveling. I enjoyed viewing the distance from my starting destination to my arrival point. I found security in projecting estimated travel time, places I'd see along the way, or places to stop and visit while traveling. Globes have always fascinated me as well. They seem to put people, places, and distances in some sort of proper perspective. My life and your life both have road maps. God is the map maker not some company. He knows the destination points and has since before we were born. Many times we are like the frightened child called to the blackboard to point out certain places. We approach the throne of God not knowing just where He wants us to go. Sometimes we are clueless to the where, the when and the how we will get there. No problem for Him. He's been directing His children for ages. He told Abraham to leave his family and head to a place that He, God, would show him. God didn't give the place a name or how long it would take to get there. He just said to get up and go. Abraham obeyed with no questions asked. Oh to have that kind of faith and trust. Often you and I are not afforded the security of looking over the map to see if we like the destination, the route to get there, the expenses for travel.... We are just instructed to go. With question marks in our heads but our Creator and Mapmaker over our heads we can set out. The road may be long, frightening, and filled with mountains and valleys we never thought we could scale. Our Mapmaker has known all along what we are capable of and just where our correct destinations should be. So with one foot forward let's move forward to this day's destination. Joshua 23:14 “And now I am about to go the way of all the earth, and you know in your hearts and souls, all of you, that not one word has failed of all the good things that the LORD your God promised concerning you. All have come to pass for you; not one of them has failed."

No comments: