Monday, December 19, 2011

Sole Survivor

About 15 years ago I participated in a "Right to Life" march. This event took place in the latter part of January.The weather that day was below freezing. In fact, the weather prior to the march had hovered around the freezing point all week long. I bundled up to stay nice and toasty, to keep from becoming a popsicle before the day was over. Unfortunately, I put fashion before reason with my shoe choice. Flat leather Keds were quite the rage of the times. So.... that is what I wore. I thought thick socks would keep my feet from getting cold. Wrong! Oh so wrong! The march lasted for hours and miles (or so it seemed.) About half way through the day, the soles of my feet were numb. I picked up my legs and hoped the appendages were still attached. If a lead ball had been dropped on my feet I would not have noticed. Thoughts of frostbite and amputation raced through my mind. Yet when the day was over the soles of my feet had carried me to march for a cause I believed in. Down in my soul there was peace. I stood up ( marched) for what I believed to be right. Before night fell both my soles and my soul were warm.
Listen to what Luke 1:78-79 says. "Through the tender mercy of our God, With which the Dayspring from on high has visited us; To give light to those who sit in darkness and the shadow of death, To guide our feet into the way of peace."
I pray my soul's desire be for the soles of my feet to be guided in the way of peace.

No comments: