Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A New Thing

On an early morning walk I allowed solitude to take me back into history. The history was past memories. Corners of my mind crept out carrying a painful past, painting pictures with hues of deep slate, ebony, onyx. The broad strokes were dark and the fine strokes were even darker. The music I could hear in the background was a dirge emerging into a crescendo that made me want to close my eyes and deafen my ears. My heart ached and I wanted to find an eraser to wipe the canvas clean, a gong to stop ballad of lament. I realized the enemy of my soul was laughing. I bought the lie to replay the tapes, the scenes of hurt I caused and the pillaging of my heart by others. My feet began to drag as well as my emotions. I realized I had a choice. I could set up camp at this dreadful place or I could run.
Funny thing-- just a few days ago I just delivered a sermon on how God wants to do a new thing in our lives. I had to ask myself how can God do a new thing if I chain myself to the past. God won't force me to take the chains off. However, His Word promises that He desires to give me a future bright with promise. New colors can dot the canvas, brilliant with yellow, gold and red. A song and dance with joyful tones, swift and lifting movements can swirl around me. I can be carried away by the One who loves me most, who restores my soul, and who dines with me as I feast in His Word. He has a future that includes goodness, promises of hope, mourning that is turned to dancing.
Isaiah 43:19 says, "See I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland."
I have decided I would rather look expectantly for the new thing than live in the past. This is a new day!

2 comments:

Creech Clann said...

Dawn, thank you for being so open and vulnerable. I had the same morning and that was the exact Scripture in my devotions. I have allowed the chains of doubt surround me today. I have been walking with defeat. I no longer need to. I choose not to. Love, Barbara Creech

BethAnne said...

Hey Dawn. I found you thru Shelley. I loved this post. I have been guilty of the same thing so many times. Praise the Lord that we dont have to live in the dark. Sometimes we just need a good Holy kick to get us out of our defeat and into victory.