Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Discus Throwing

When I was in high school taking P.E. was mandatory. I did not love much about the class. I had it as my first class of the day which meant getting sweaty first thing in the morning and ruining my hair for the rest of the day. I was less than coordinated in most of the sports and felt very insecure. One of the sports I failed most miserably at was the discus throwing. A discus is heavy disk (the Latin word is dish) that is meant to be hurled out and the distance it is thrown to be measured. Being that I had no upper body strength my discus hurl never went any significant amount of distance. I remember laughing inside as my teacher made everyone stand at a great distance as each class member threw the disc to keep us out of harm's way. I knew my throw would never make it past an arm's length and would not be worth measuring. However precaution was taken just the same as I let go and hurled the discus.
Satan is a master discus thrower! You might be wondering why I would label him as that. Look at John 13:2,"During supper, when the devil had already put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him (Jesus)"... The Greek word for put is ballo. It means to hurl. Satan hurled "the desire to betray" discus at Judas' unprotected heart. Something had happened to Judas that his heart was wide open to receive the hurl. One commentary I read said perhaps it was that Judas was still seething over the money that was wasted when Mary of Bethany poured out the expensive ointment on Jesus' feet and wiped it with her hair. Judas was thinking the ointment or perfume could have been sold or exchanged for a good deal of money. Was it greed that had opened Judas heart and left it unprotected for the enemy's hurl? Was it impatience at Jesus for not asserting Himself and becoming an earthly king. Was it pride that Judas thought he knew more than Jesus as to handle financial affairs? Perhaps Judas was angry that Jesus had openly rebuked him in front of others for discounting Mary's act of love and devotion. Whatever the reason, or the offense as Judas may have considered it to be, he left himself open for Satan to do great harm. I realize that when I am hurt by another person's words or actions I must take care of the offense in my heart. Any unforgiveness will leave my heart open for the hurl of Satan that could take me down for the count. The NLT version of Prov. 4:23 says, "Above all else, guard your heart, for it affects everything you do." I know first hand how easy it is to hold onto offenses and how damaging a clenched fist or heart can be. Let us purpose in our heart to give God everything that hurts and keep the doors of our heart closed to the enemy!

No comments: